Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bee Swarm

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting in the family room reading some things for work and repeatedly thought I was hearing rain. I asked Adriane over and over if she heard it, but she just laughed because it was 80 degrees and sunny outside. I then went to check upstairs for a dripping faucet or pipe and was shocked when I got into the guest shower and saw hundreds of bees outside the window. I went outside and saw thousands of bees going into a hole outside our family room.



We called some beekeepers and each said they wouldn't be able to come out until at least Friday. So we figured we would just wait it out until then.


Then today I was outside trimming our grass. I had my IPOD and wasn't paying much attention. About half way through I noticed a large shadow and looked up and saw millions of honey bees. I ran inside to call some more beekeepers.
Now they considered the situation more urgent. When they came out they said the bees were hanging out with their huge honeycomb in the walls of our house. We had two separate beekeepers tell us they couldn't be saved. They both recommended calling an exterminator. This devestated Adriane because of the current honeybee shortage. So that's what we did. We still need to call someone to take off more dry wall and take out the honeycomb.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That's insane!! Were you able to keep any of the honey?